Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chocolatization of India!

I did not expect this from the guy behind the counter at all -- he nearly broke my heart. One of my favorite drinks of all time was slowly but surely nearing its death -- nay, it was
being killed by a slow poison that has taken over most of the world.
Chocolate killed the Aavin flavored milk star!Yes, that dark brown seed that has dominated the candy industry so much that has come to mean candy, is slowly killing my beloved Aavin flavored milk.
When I went to my local neighborhood Aavin outlet, I spotted rows of tetra pacs of Aavin Flavored Milk. they seemed different, somehow, but I thought it might just be repackaging
that makes it look different. I asked for the elakka (cardamom) flavor, but the guy said all
they had were chocolate and strawberry flavors. Sometimes pista is available, he said, but cardamom is tough to find! Chocolate and strawberry, they aren't even native to this area, I wanted to scream. But markets rule everything today, and markets have decided that the Aavin Cardamom flavor is too irrelevant to live.
Chocolate is now everywhere. It is in cereals and cakes, and nearly everywhere else. It seems to have taken over children's hearts like crazy. Gone are the days when chocolate used to be a treat that kids pined and yearned for.
If I knew India would become so chocolatized, I would have at least enjoyed it more when I lived near the chocolate city- Hershey!

So here goes my own version of "Chocolate killed the Aavin Flavored Milk"
I tasted you, back in '82
Drank from you, enticed by you.
Longing for you everytime I passed through.
Ooh-a-ooh.
You were nice to hold, and sweet on my lip,
Then the dark, handsome chocolate arrived on a ship
And reduced you to an insignificant little blip!

Oh, and here's a little limerick!

There was once a drink called Aavin Elakka
It was sweet, healthy and a party maker.
Then came along chocolate
And sealed the fate
Of the wonderful drink Aavin Elakka.

2 comments:

Karthik Narayan said...

good play on TV killed the radio star etc :)

Munchmany said...

El Brillianto!!!!! i loved this article..... [:D]