Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Other "The"

Whenever I think of my friends, I consider myself lucky--I (think) I have a good mix--and the best part is that they are of all ages.
But age has a unique way of letting itself known. We'd started a book club in our office, and my older friend suggested the book, "The Kite Runner." I have to shamelessly admit that I am yet to read the book--too much war in the news sort of puts you off reading about it!
In any case, in summarizing the book, my good friend said it was about two boys in Afghanistan during and after the war.
I thought I got what the book was about, but when I peeked in, I realized that "THE WAR" meant the Russian occupation!
I'm sure the rest of the club members wouldn't have thought that "the war" was not the U.S. invasion (is it okay to call it that?) but the Soviet one!

No comments: