Saturday, November 22, 2008

Serendipity

Too thrilled on Saturday.

I went to check out a sale of books in a local worn-out library on Arya Gowda Road, (doubles and triples of books, the owner said). I'd been there before, and hadn't found anything interesting, but just wanted something to do, and went there.

And lo and behold! Look what I found: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" by Mark Haddon.



I had been looking for this book for over a year, and had almost given up hope--Eloor didn't have it, nor did Crossword.

I also picked up a Danielle Steele novel, and get this: The Daniel Steele novel was Rs. 70, and the Mark Haddon book, Rs. 30 :)

Read it almost at a single stretch. It's a beautiful book about how humans have complicated lives for ourselves. It is narrated by a 15-year-old autistic child, and is funny, poignant (I've been wanting to use that word in writing forever), and thought-provoking at the same time. And what's more, it's a quick read! Highly recommended by me. Of course, if you don't get a copy anywhere else, I'll be glad to loan mine :)

4 comments:

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

Thanks - I will happily accept the offer. Bags me the first loan.

Absolutely Serendipitous said...

I recently bought this book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns.'Must say reading is fun.

Gurooji said...

Raji: Reserved for you!
Vandya: Great--not a very active activity, but it is fun!

bharathi said...

hey i heard abt this book in the autim circles that it is truly great and was a fav of an aspergers boy as well...meanwhile i should gift you this book as well-'How can i talk if my lips dont move' by the amazing Tito mukhopadhyay. but if you do not wish to wait for long you can gift yourself this inspirational book