Thursday, November 22, 2007

First Day at Work!

So, today was my first day at work in corporate India!
And boy, does it work slowly! My computer wasn't set up even when I left, and no one really gave me anything to do, and probably wouldn't have, if I hadn't asked them.
So, I was sent to an absent employee's computer, and just "hang out." I played two games of Spider Solitaire.
Then, I asked someone for something to do. Felt increasingly like the genie who had to always be occupied.
To get me out of their hair, I was asked to peruse some style guides. The files wouldn't open, and I waited for a while to get someone to help me. They couldn't.
Three games of Spider Solitaire followed.
Turns out the file won't open from the server.
So, after about an hour of that, I was bored. Thank God for my colleague, who dropped in with some edited documents for me to look at, so I could at least see what an e-learning course looked like!
Lunch was an elaborate affair, with some kids. The kids were really mostly fresh out of college, I saw a bit of myself in them. Age does funny things to you sometimes.
Well, lunch hour was for about an hour and a half, it seemed like. Way too long for my liking. I guess it's good sometimes, since there's not much else to do. I think I'll eat at my desk from now on. Perhaps join them for the walk later. Some of them walk after the hour-and-a-half-long lunch, apparently.
Anyways, to cut a long boring story really short, I got some work at around 2:30 or so, without a deadline attached to it.
And after reviewing my first real "client-approved" edited version of a module, I started actual work. After about an hour, there was some sort of (irrelevant, at least to my role, at least on my first day) meeting.
When I could return to my (read: Sudharshan's) desk, it was 6:15 p.m. I go and ask the guy what the deadline is, so I can plan my next day, and he says it is due that day.
What with PMS and general irritation, I almost snap back at him that it's not possible.
Anyways, I guess I'll have to finish it tomorrow.
First Day: Just OK. But people are really nice, all over the world.

No comments: